Thursday, May 21, 2009

Eavesdropping

According to the wikipedia - "Eavesdropping is the act of surreptitiously listening to a private conversation. This is commonly thought to be unethical and there is an old adage that eavesdroppers seldom hear anything good of themselves"

It also talks about the history of eavesdropping and how "Eavesdrop also means a small low visibility hole near the entrance to a building (generally under the eaves) which would allow the occupants to listen in on the conversation of people awaiting admission to the house. Typically this would allow the occupant to be prepared for unfriendly visitors."

Very interesting in deed.

Most people think of eavesdropping as a highly negative thing. How dare you listen in on a conversation that is not intended for you to hear. I have mixed feelings on the subject. Now don't get me wrong, I don't carry a glass around with me to press up against all the doors and walls to see what kind of dirt I can pick up. However, I don't think I'm such a horrible person for hearing a conversation that is going on clearly loud enough as for me not to strain to hear.

This brings me to the conversation I "overheard" today. Now I was minding my own business, but I heard what was going on none the less. I will shamefully admit that I did stop what I was doing to listen in....(don't throw any stones yet) and now I'm going to share it with all of you.

T: goo ga blag a doop (no laughing at my baby talk interpretation)

B: Huh?

T: ga blaugh do ba do ma

B: Huh?

T: {giggle}

B: Trever?

T: {giggle} {coo}

B: ooohhhhhhh, Trever wake up?

(little footsteps heard going from one bedroom to the other)

B: ahh, Trevvveeeeer. You wake up.


So...am I a horrible person for listening in on the "private" conversation? Brenna came out to get me and said "Trever wake up" then took me by the hand to show me. " c'mon Mama...show me" Trever was awake in his crib and smiled the biggest smile when his big sister climbed up to see him.

I'm sure this will be the first of MANY stolen moments between a sister and her brother. Think what you will, but I've never been happier doing something that is deemed so WRONG. I'm sure I'm not the first Mom to do it, and certainly not the last. I can also guarantee that many of you reading this (if you have more than 1 child) will grin and know just how it feels to "eavesdrop" on your kids.

Ahhh.....I love being a Mom.

No comments: